Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rudi

This was written for a dear and close friend...

You were my half in life
Kept my most secret secrets
Not ever questioning or judging
If decisions were wrong you never told me
You went along happily with each one

Moving from city to town
Smiling at each new curve in the road
Others spoke harshly about our nomadic existence
You just asked for more chicken

People drifted in and out of my life
As my friend you were always there
Miles I could drive and never a complaint
You just enjoyed the peace of my company

From the time that you were young and spry
From the time you could run like the wind
You would look back at me with eyes that sparkled
Listening for me to call your name

My half in life was you my friend
Sleeping with me through every nightmare
Comforting me when it was done

Transitory is the order of this existence
Our own unique time here
Bridges to cross and miles to tread
To have shared it with you was my luck
To have known you was my honor
My half in life, my friend, there will never be another

1 comment:

esk said...

What a tender poem.

"Sleeping with me through every nightmare" - I really like that part.