Monday, July 11, 2011


I met Patricia French one evening at the Lensic Theatre, I knew she was a special lady. Pat French championed historical recognition of women in the State of New Mexico. In her travels around the state she noticed of the 500 historical markers in New Mexico only one recognized the accomplishments of women. Working with the Mexico Historic Women's Marker Initiative in 2005, she helped raised over $300,000 to recognize the accomplishments of women and erect 66 markers across the state honoring the women of New Mexico. She told me "New Mexico is a place without barriers for women". Her words gave me the personal encouragement to try new things on my journey and be fearless. Pat French came to Santa Fe from New York. She was an early childhood teacher; the school she founded in Brooklyn is still in existence today. As a realtor in Santa Fe for over twenty years, her agency French and French Fine Properties in association with her husband Michael grew, as did her love for the City Different In her capacity as the head of the firms marketing and public relations, her insight into the future lead to the creation of SantaFe.com. When deciding to step down from the website she said she knew she was not the final owner. "You don't own anything in this life...you are a steward" In keeping with her philosophy "There is no society unless you bring it!" Pat co-founded Dollars4Schools. Administered in partnership with the Santa Fe Community Foundation, Dollars4Schools raises money through direct giving to benefit specific classroom needs for Santa Fe public school children. Having tea one morning with Pat French was a pleasure for me, this Renaissance lady sparked my ideas, my courage and my vision. Thanks Pat!

No comments: